Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Many Aborted Family History Projects


(photo: '80? Dad, me and my then husband Peter Pynchon)
Handwritten letter after the death of my first husband's father and Dad's brother Leslie -- '75?

Dear Vickie

Well here I am worried about you. Have you enough money? Did Peter return on time etc.? has his family situation changed his plans? If I had your phone number I would call you this evening.

In reading [his sister] Bessie's book [family history] I see that much of family history is kept in letters. With the advent of the phone our communications are lost [if only we had one another's telephone numbers!]

I have considered writing my view of family history and happenings from the narcissitic view -- that is all as it relates to me. I would only do that by way of letters to you in the expectation you you would keep them for some future family historian. If not your children or [my sister] Sharon's then the grand nephews and nieces. What do you think of that?

I suppose Peter's loss and the loss last year of Leslie cause me to feel that some bridge needs to be left between yesterday and tomorrow.

Please drop a card or call you can't believe whaat a father imagines as possible disasters for a loved child.

Dad

No comments: